First formed into a fusilier regiment, called the ‘Welch Regiment of Fusileers’, 1702
It was announced in the Daily Courant that Ingoldsby’s Regiment was to be known as the ‘Welch Regiment of Fusileers’. The title derives from the fusil or flintlock musket which by the end of the 17th century had superceded the matchlock which was fired by a slow-burning match. The flintlock was first introduced for foot soldiers who guarded the artillery to avoid having burning matches in the vicinity of gunpowder. It was a great honour for the Regiment.