15 July 1937 - ON THIS DAY IN ROYAL WELCH HISTORY
1 RWF provided the Honour Guard for His Majesty King George VI, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Welch Fusiliers on his visit to Caernarfon. This was the first time the King had met any members of the Regiment since he had agreed to honour the Regiment by assuming the post of Colonel-in-Chief of the Regiment.
The Guard was commanded by Capt (Bt Major) H.A. Freeman OBE MC. Second Lieutenants R.S. Best and H.G. Brougham who carried the King’s Colour. The last time the 1st Battalion had provided a Guard of Honour in Caernarfon was the investiture of the Prince of Wales in 1911. The Guard had arrived at Caernarfon from their Barracks at Tidworth using the Battalion’s own trucks and motor cycles to allow the event to be seen as road march movements training and the 100 man Guard set up camp at Coed Helen on the south side of the river Seiont opposite the Castle. This was the traditional camping ground for reservist units when on summer camp in the area. The Guard marching into Caernarfon led by the Regimental Goat with the streets being lined by members of the 6th Battalion, the local RWF Territorial unit. The King and Queen took a keen interest in the Regimental Goat which had been presented to the Battalion by the King’s Father.